Home

Cinematographer Timothy Keith Tregoning distributes intimate image without consent

Clareese PackerNewsWire
Timothy Keith Tregoning pleaded guilty to intentionally distributing an intimate image without consent and threatening to distribute an intimate image without consent. NewsWire / Nikki Short
Camera IconTimothy Keith Tregoning pleaded guilty to intentionally distributing an intimate image without consent and threatening to distribute an intimate image without consent. NewsWire / Nikki Short Credit: News Corp Australia

A cinematographer known for his work on a Hollywood hit will not be convicted after he pleaded guilty to distributing an intimate image without consent.

Timothy Keith Tregoning, 42, in January pleaded guilty to intentionally distributing an intimate image without consent and threatening to distribute an intimate image without consent.

The cinematographer is known for his work on Snow White and the Huntsman.

Tregoning arrived in Sydney Downing Centre Local on Wednesday flanked by high-profile lawyer Bryan Wrench.

The court was told Mr Tregoning sent the image, which was of another person, to a woman.

Timothy Keith Tregoning pleaded guilty to intentionally distributing an intimate image without consent and threatening to distribute an intimate image without consent. Picture: NewsWire / Nikki Short
Camera IconTimothy Keith Tregoning pleaded guilty to intentionally distributing an intimate image without consent and threatening to distribute an intimate image without consent. NewsWire / Nikki Short Credit: News Corp Australia

The woman then told the person in the image, who went to the police.

Mr Wrench said his client had described it as a “low act” to a psychiatrist and he’d told them “I wish I’d been calmer, showed more dignity”.

The threat was to then make that image public.

Mr Wrench told the court that his client had apologised to both people involved.

He said his client was a “different person” now and had been regularly seeing a psychiatrist for ADHD, alcohol use disorder and major depressive disorder.

He was sentenced to a CRO without conviction. Picture: NewsWire / Nikki Short
Camera IconHe was sentenced to a CRO without conviction. NewsWire / Nikki Short Credit: News Corp Australia

Magistrate Scott Nash said the victim being identified in the image did “elevate the seriousness”.

“Nature of image itself … it is clearly an intimate image, and it is an inherently serious matter,” Mr Nash said.

“It is offending that does have the substantial capacity to cause mental harm.

“I understand there was no actual harm in that respect, no wider publication of that image, but as between the victims themselves, it’s understandable why that would’ve played heavily on their mind and caused mental anguish as a consequence of the threat that was made.”

Mr Nash said although the charges were “inherently serious”, they were “toward the lower end of seriousness”, noting there was no wide distribution of the image.

However, he noted the threat of distributing an intimate image without consent “was a threat of wide distribution”.

“And it’s entirely understandable why each victim would’ve felt considerable fear and mental harm,” Mr Nash said.

“But nonetheless I do accept it is below the mid-range of objective seriousness.”

Tregoning was represented by high-profile lawyer Bryan Wrench. Picture: NewsWire / Nikki Short
Camera IconTregoning was represented by high-profile lawyer Bryan Wrench. NewsWire / Nikki Short Credit: News Corp Australia

Tregoning was sentenced to a two-year conditional release order (CRO) without conviction.

The CRO was handed down on the condition that Tregoning comply with a mental health treatment plan.

“I’ll deal with each matter by way of a two-year CRO … on the condition that he comply with the treatment plan,” Mr Nash said.

He noted the time difference between the offending and Thursday’s sentencing and there hadn’t been offending of that nature since.

“I do accept Mr Tregoning has taken substantial and significant steps to address his mental health and drug use,” Mr Nash said.

Mr Nash said the cinematographer had a “reasonably low risk of reoffending” and he thought he was a “person of reasonably good character in all circumstances”.

The police prosecutor also requested that if Tregoning was in possession of any intimate images of the complainant, they must be deleted, which was accepted.

Mental Health: Where to get help

Originally published as Cinematographer Timothy Keith Tregoning distributes intimate image without consent

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails